Sunday, August 10, 2014

Traditional Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar) and Fitness Fusion Variation: How-To



Hi Everyone!

For tonight's workout I kept it very simple and did 10 Sun Salutations. 

Sun Salutations are composed of 9 basic yoga postures. 
  • Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
  • Upward Salute (Urdhva Hastasana)
  • Standing Forward bend (Uttanasana)
  • Warrior I/Lunge
  • Plank Pose
  • Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose)
  • Upward Facing Dog (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana)
  • Downward Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
  • Chair Pose (Utkatasna)
These poses will give you a full body workout. You will bring your body and spine through a full range of motion that will help improve your flexibility, circulation, and even digestion. 

Anytime you are practicing yoga (or any exercise) you will reap the most benefits by focusing on each pose you engage in. Improving your mind body connection actually improves the physical and mental benefits you get from exercise. 

The video below is the first video I ever posted on my blog. As you can see the website has actually changed names since then! 

For those of you looking for an extra challenge I also posted my Sun Salutation/Fitness Fusion workout, which combines Sun Salutations with weighted exercises. (I stuck to the traditional version tonight). 


I am planning on posting new workouts all week. I am filming a new workout tomorrow evening as soon as I get home. I am re-focusing on my health and fitness, and getting my energy level back up to where it used to be. :) 

I started out this weekend by running a 5K on Saturday, Yoga tonight (Sunday), and getting back to sharing more workouts this week. 

Enjoy! I will see you tomorrow!
Melissa

PS You can also find me on FacebookInstagram or Twitter

Traditional Sun Salutation: 


Sun Salutation: Fitness Fusion: Power Yoga

1 comment:

  1. This yoga fitness fusion is one of my favs and I have been doing your work outs a long time. Can u do more like this??? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete