Sunday, September 16, 2012

Challenge Yourself: Overcoming Fear

Extended Side Crane Pose

Hi Everyone,

When was the last time you tried something challenging? If it was today, congratulations! Challenge leads to change, and increased strength. Challenges can show you just what you are capable of, and help show you what you need to do to grow stronger. 

Challenge can be physical, mental or a combination of both. Often the greatest challenge is overcoming the belief that you can't do something. This belief creates a fear of trying that can be incredibly limiting. Without trial and error you never discover what you are capable of. It is through challenge that your body, and mind adapt and discover new abilities. 

My challenge to you today is to go outside of your comfort zone, and try something new. 

As you guys know I am a certified yoga instructor. In honor of Yoga Month I decided to challenge myself to start doing more arm balances. Arm balances require strength, balance, and overcoming fear. I have often found that when teaching students to do an arm balance, fear prevents them from successfully performing a pose that they are physically capable of. 

Stop letting fear limit you. The more you practice overcoming fear, the easier it becomes. Each time you do something that makes you nervous you become a little bit stronger, and before you know it you are doing something you didn't know you were capable of. 

I am not just talking about physical fear. Fear of failure can be a huge hurdle in life. To me the only true failure is not trying at all. Remember, the biggest limitations in life are the ones you impose on yourself. They are formed by the things it never occurs to you to try. 

Good luck! Let me know if you accept my challenge, and what you are trying today.
Melissa

Side Crane Pose-Parsva Bakasana

4 comments:

  1. This is an awesome post! Today I am going to run outside (thanks to you)! I get emabarassed that people could be making fun of me. Well, screw that - I'm going out for a little run in this nice weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I think you are going to love your run outside. People weren't meant to stay cooped up inside all the time. :) Have fun!

      Delete
  2. I am inspired by this! I am going to challenge myself to a longer workout for today!

    ReplyDelete