Thursday, September 27, 2012

Home Gym Must Have List: Top 10

Hi Everyone,

You all know that I do my workouts at home, or outside. I don't belong to a gym, so I have made my home into a gym. While it is possible to get a great workout using body weight exercises, adding some equipment to your home gym can greatly increase the versatility of your workouts. You have probably noticed by now that I enjoy a LOT of variety in my workouts. :) 

This is my "Must Have" list for having a home gym that will meet all of your needs. If you have something else you use to workout with at home feel free to leave a comment! If you don't have these items don't panic! You can still have plenty of great home workout options. These items will just add to those options.

1. Interval Timer: I do a lot of HIIT workouts. My Gymboss Interval Timer is useful for timing exercises at home, and keeping track of interval workouts when I am running outside. It can be distracting to keep looking at your watch during workouts. With my interval timer I don't have to slow down. I just keep going until the timer beeps. Bonus: it can also be used as a stop watch. 

2. Yoga Mat: I have a variety of yoga mats. They are perfect for any yoga, pilates, or floor work you are going to do. I am often asked if there is a difference in yoga mats (cheaper vs. more expensive). The best yoga mat I have ever used is a rubber yoga mat, which is of course more expensive. I loved the fact that my hands didn't slip at all on this mat, even when I got sweaty. If you decide to get a rubber mat check to make sure you are getting one that is made from natural or recycled rubber. As far as thickness: thicker mats are more comfortable and provide some cushion and support for your joints and back. However, thicker mats are also more challenging to balance on. 

3. Kettle Bell and/or Dumbbells: I love the versatility you have with kettle bells and dumbbells. You can incorporate them into a variety of workout moves to increase the resistance and challenge of the exercise. They come in a variety of weights and sizes so you can select the one that is right for your level of fitness. 

4. Barbell/Free Weights: If you are looking to increase the amount of weight you use, owning a barbell and some free weights will be very beneficial. I have free weights that I can use individually (they have cut out areas for you to grip the weight), and I can put weights on my bar for a variety of exercises. My favorite weighted exercises are Squats, Romanian Deadlifts, Bulgarian Split Squats, and Good Mornings. I want to buy some heavier weights for my bar. Of course you can use weights for a huge variety of exercises. I like having options and the ability to switch up my routine. 

5. Ultimate Body Press Dip Stand: This is the brand I use, but other brands would also be effective. I love this piece of equipment for it's versatility. I most often use it to work my arms, abs and chest. It is important to maintain variety in your workouts, and there is a lot you can do  with the dip station. 

6. Pull Up Bar: I have a door frame pull up bar. Pull ups, chin ups, and hanging leg raises are a great addition to any workout. This piece of equipment will help strengthen your back, shoulders, and arms. Also, if you enjoy rock climbing or bouldering it can help you increase your strength and endurance. (If you've never tried rock climbing before, check to see if there are any climbing walls near you. It's a great fun way to stay active and fit!)

7. Stability Ball: I love my stability ball. It allows you to perform a variety of challenging variations of body weight exercises. Decline push ups, stability mountain climbers, and moves to intensify ab and butt workouts are just a few. Plus, sitting on a stability ball while you work or watch TV can help strengthen your core, and facilitate good posture. 

8. Jump Rope: A jump rope is an easy way to add cardio into your workout. You can add intervals, increase fat burning and cardiovascular endurance with this inexpensive piece of equipment. Not sure? Check out Health Benefits of Jump Roping

9. Bosu Ball: This is on my wish list. I love the Bosu Ball because it can increase the challenge of almost any workout move. You can add a balance challenge to lunges, squats, step ups, and core exercises to name a few. 

10. Resistance Bands: These are a great tool to increase resistance during your workout, without requiring the use of additional weights. You can use them to increase the challenge of a variety of exercises. These bands come in varying resistance, so you can grade your workout for your own level of fitness. 

11. Treadmill: I know, this is a top ten list. Consider this the bonus item. If you can afford it, and have room for it a treadmill is a great addition to your home gym. Preferably a model that has an incline feature. Treadmills can be great for running, walking, and interval workouts. Despite my best intentions in the winter months I often can't force myself outside into the cold to run, so a treadmill is a great option. Also, if I want to be active, while keeping it low impact I will grab my kindle, and read while walking on the treadmill. You get better results when you focus on the workout instead of a book, movie or magazine, but if the alternative is laying on the couch and reading you are still benefiting by spending time on the treadmill. 

I hope you found this list useful. If you don't have these items don't worry about it. You can still get a great workout at home with just your body weight! These tools are not necessary, but they can be beneficial in increasing the versatility and challenge of your workout.  




14 comments:

  1. An important part of my gym is MyFitnessPal, great site and App for tracking food and calories.

    Also a "free" alternative if you already own a very expensive iPhone or iTouch is an App called "Simple Round Timer FREE". Like the name suggests it's very basic but does the job, to hide the ads just turn off Data/WiFi before using it, i.e. Air-plane mode.

    I wish the Bosu Ball wasn't so expensive, well in Ireland anyway. It's currently top of my things to get.

    Doing stuff while exercising is awesome, I've lost 135lbs from recumbent cycling while playing PS3, over the last 2 years. Also watching sports while exercising is great, as the game intensifies without even knowing it you start cycling faster! Last couple of months I've been able to try some of your workouts, even though they hurt like hell it feels great once I recover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great point, MyFitnessPal is a wonderful app, and it can help people with motivation and awareness of their foods and portion sizes. The interval timer app is great too, thanks for sharing. :)

      The Bosu Ball is expensive everywhere, that's why I don't have one yet either. It's a great tool though. I love your cycling method! Keep it up!

      Delete
  2. Hi, it's favabeany from YT , that's a great list! I actually subscribed to your channel back in January bc I was clicking around watching fitness videos and saw that you have the same kettlebell set that I have! The rest is history because I LOVE your workout vids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Favabeany, :) I'm glad you stuck around! I love those kettlebells twice as much now. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Melissa! Thanks for the great list! I`ve just recently left the gym and purchased a few items for my home gym. I`m glad to say that the items I purchased are on your list :) I`ve now completed 2 of your workouts and they are fabulous! They are very challenging which is exactly what I`ve been looking for! Thanks for everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a treadmill or cardio equipment brand that you suggest? And how do you feel about the elliptical?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really a very nice and informative post because everything in this post suggested very clearly and could be done very easily by anyone who wants to make his body smart and well build.
    home gym workouts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title of this post most :) and fantastic jobs... I like but happy you look, brush in hand :)
    http://www.allevaconstruction.com/home_improvements.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. A heart rate monitor is a must in order that you get the most out of your workout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone should do this. It has a great effect on our body and mind. best yoga mat

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a nice post in an interesting line of content.Thanks for sharing this article, great way of bring such topic to discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not belong to a fitness gym either. Moreover, I do strength training exercises that do not require equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was an interesting article. I look forward to more. I think there are a lot of people who are going to benefit from your postings. weight training shirts

    ReplyDelete
  12. People spend hundreds of dollars on training gear, if your one of the lucky ones, always try buy the best it will last for ever. obstacle course training equipment

    ReplyDelete